Join HI STAR this summer (May 31 to June 6, 2013). HI STAR is a one week astronomy program at the University of Hawai‘i Manoa campus in Honolulu. This program is designed for incoming grade 8 –11 students who would like to work on science research projects and their teachers. Fill out the online HI STAR application form.
- Program: day and night activities:
- Learn about asteroids, comets, variable stars,
extrasolar planets, and
- Do telescope observing and get CCD camera
images of objects in space.
- Understand physics and chemistry principles
integral to astronomy.
- Learn image-processing skills using astrometry
and photometry software.
- Be mentored by an astronomer to complete a research project after the program.
- Student Application Requirements
Each student must have a teacher who agrees to act as a project advisor and who will write a letter of recommendation for you. (Your teacher can advise multiple students.)
Student applicants need to have one of the following:
A UHIfA-sponsored astronomy workshop; and/or demonstrated knowledge of the night sky and basic astronomy; and/or your Hawaii teacher-advisor will also attend this workshop.
Cost: A $150 registration fee.
(can be waived for those with financial hardship)
- Housing at UH Manoa campus dormitory and meals are fully funded for all students and teachers.
- Teachers airfare to Honolulu is also funded.
- All students will need to pay for their own airfare to Honolulu.
For more information, about these workshops please contact: Mary Kadooka firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 956-7954
UH IfA Workshop Pictures
HISTAR 07 Summer Workshop (1week)
Roll 1 | Roll 2 | Roll 3
Moloka‘i Astronomy Workshop (2 days)
Roll 1 | Roll 2 | Roll 3 | Roll 4 | Roll 5
UH NAI HOME