Astronomy 626: Galaxies
- Galaxies: Introduction, morphology
and classification, elliptical galaxies, disk
galaxies, Milky Way, chemical evolution,
- The history of galaxy formation: Observations of galaxies at earlier times. Theoretical models of galaxy evolution.
- Mechanics: Gravitational potentials,
orbits, stellar dynamical systems, collisionless
- Spheroids: Jeans theorem, dispersion,
mass profiles, rotation and velocity anisotropies,
axisymmetric and triaxial models.
- Disks: Kinematics of solar neighborhood,
local stability, spiral structure, bar
instability, warped disks.
- Halos: Giant galaxies, dwarf
- Transformations: Tidal interactions,
orbit decay, violent relaxation.
- Dense Stellar Systems: Globular clusters,
This outline is representative only, and is likely to
change from instructor to instructor and from year to