Astronomy 630: The Solar System
- Cloud collapse: Disk formation.
- Planet formation: Physics of accretion,
observational evidence relating to planet
- Comets as planetesimals: Radioactivity,
- The gas giants: Interiors, compositions,
degeneracy, heat transport, magnetic fields.
- Terrestrial planets: Interiors, equations
of state, differentiation, heat transport, surface
- Planetary surfaces: Impact mechanics.
- Global tectonics
- Atmospheres: Structure (thermodynamics,
oceans, polar caps), dynamics (weather), formation and evolution (compositions, sources, relation to origins)
- Asteroid science: Meteoritical
constraints, radioactive decay dating
This outline is representative only, and is likely to change from instructor to instructor and from year to year.
Jewitt — 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007
- Staff — 2009
- Miriam Riner et al. — 2011
- Andrew Howard et al. — 2013