Astronomy 635: Fundamentals of Astrophysics
- Preliminaries: Special relativity,
dynamics, random fields.
- Radiation: Properties of electromagnetic
radiation, thermal radiation, radiative transfer,
radiation fields, geometric optics, diffraction
theory, radiation from moving charges, Cerenkov
radiation, bremsstrahlung, synchrotron radiation,
- Field Theory: Overview.
- Matter: Kinetic theory. ideal fluids,
viscous fluids, fluid instabilities, supersonic
flows, shocks, plasmas.
- Gravity: Laws of gravity, collisionless
systems, evolution of gravitating systems.
- Cosmology: Friedmann-Robertson-Walker
This outline is representative only, and is likely to change from instructor to instructor and from year to year.