IAU Symposium 211
Outrigger Waikoloa Beach Hotel,
Big Island of Hawaii,
May 20-24, 2002
Travel and Visitor Information
RESERVATIONS: Book Your Reservations Early!
CONFERENCE AIRLINE: UNITED AIRLINES
- EARLY air, hotel, and car reservations are highly recommended.
- United Airlines is the official airline, and reservations
may be made by calling Uniteds toll-free number, 1-800-521-4041. Meeting
ID Number is 594XX.
- A 5% discount applies to the lowest discount fare, including
First Class and may be purchased up until the day of departure. OR, a 10%
may be applied when purchasing similar fares at least 60 days in advance.
- OR, a 10% discount off full unrestricted fares
may be purchased 7 days in advance.
- Reservation agents are on duty 7 days a week from 8:00
am to 10:00 pm EST.
- If you are flying United Airlines, please
identify youself as a conference participant.
- Special rates are reserved for conferees. Identify yourself
by using the conference name IAU Symposium.
- Hawaiian Airlines has direct service available from the
West Coast to Kona, Hawaii.
- Reservations can be made by calling 1-800-367-5320.
ARRIVAL INTO HAWAII:
- Your final destination is Kona, about 20 miles from the
Outrigger Waikoloa Beach Hotel.
- Route baggage directly to Kona, unless you are staying
overnight on Oahu.
- Please confirm that all baggage is ticketed through to
Kona and "KOA" is on tags.
- For some conferees, your initial destination may be Honolulu,
- Upon arrival, you will proceed to the interisland terminal,
where you will transfer to the local air carrier for a short 40-minute flight
- Please be advised that the last flight from Honolulu to
Kona leaves at 7:00 p.m.
- At least 2 hours between Honolulu flight arrival and Kona
departure is suggested to accommodate the added security measures and to transfer
to interisland terminal.
- Free transportation is available between the main and interisland
terminals in Honolulu.
- Exit the main terminal and wait at one of the WIKIWIKI
SHUTTLE bus stops.
- Shuttles arrive every fifteen minutes and go to the interisland
- Direct flights are available to Kona-Hawaii.
- International conferees must go through customs and immigration
at the main terminal (Kona and Honolulu International Airports).
- Travelers are advised to allow at least 3 hours for processing
and transfer time between the main and interisland terminal.
GROUND TRANSPORTATION IN KONA:
- A valid passport is necessary to enter the United States
of America. Due to international agreements, some countries also require a
visa to be issued to legalize the situation, on a reciprocal basis.
- International scientists and travelers, intending to participate
in the upcoming meetings, should verify the specific requirements with foreign
affairs authorities in their country, or with US consulates.
- Check Embassy World.com
for more information.
- Speedishuttle: 329-5433 (Reservations required and
group rates available.)
- To Outrigger Waikoloa Beach
Cost: Approximately $30.55 for 1 person.
Group Rate (12 passengers): Approximately: $93.84.
Time: About 20-25 minutes.
- To Kona
Cost: Approximately $17.46 per person.
Group Rate (12-passenger): Approximately $49.10.
Time: About 15-20 minutes.
- Taxi Service: Taxi service is available
curbside at the Kona Airport.
|C & C Taxi
|C B Taxi
|D & E Taxi
|Kona Airport Taxi
|Paradise Taxi & Tours, Inc.
|Affordable Island RV Shuttle & Tours
- Rental cars are available at the Kona Airport and reservations
are highly recommended.
- The following car rental agencies operate out of
the Kona Airport:
Hawaii is on Hawaii Standard Time (3 hours earlier in the
day during the summer than Pacific Time and 6 hours earlier than Eastern Time).
INFORMATION PROVIDED BY HAWAII WEATHER TODAY
The Big Island is truly a natural wonder. Visitors here will
find everything from stony deserts, to tropical forests, to high alpine zones,
all on just one island. The Big Island in fact offers an opportunity to experience
11 of the world's 13 climate zones. Even with all this, the island is still
a work in progress, with Kilauea adding to and reshaping it every day, and as
we'll see, the volcano even effects the weather.
Because Hawaiian weather varies very little throughout the
year, the weather you'll experience on the Big Island depends more on location
than time of year. The wide variety of climates and the resulting range of temperatures
and rainfall across the island are mid to low 70s (23.9-26.1 C) during the winter
months of November to April.
A brief review of weather at several popular locations on
the island will give visitors a sense of the range of weather they can expect.
On the dry southwest side is the Kona Kohala coast, the average
summer daytime high temperatures are from 77-80 degrees F (25.0-26.7 C), with
night-time lows of 61-64 degrees (16.1-17.8 C). Daytime temperatures in the
winter here are usually 76-79 degrees (24.4-26.1 C), with nighttime lows of
59-62 degrees (15.0-16.7 C). You generally can count on getting a lot of sun
in the Kona area, where average monthly rainfall around Kailua-Kona is less
than 1 inch in the summer and 1-3 inches during winter months.
To the north is Waimea, in the heart of the Big Island's paniolo
(cowboy) country. Located up slope from the beach areas, Waimea's 2,600 foot
elevation is slightly cooler, with summer daytime high temperatures of 74-77
degrees (23.3-25.0 C) and nighttime lows of 53-58 degrees (11.7-14.4 C). In
the winter daytime highs here drop to 72-75 degrees (22.2-23.9 C); with nighttime
lows of 51-54 degrees (10.6-12.2 C). Being in the rain shadow of the mountains,
Waimea gets only 1-3 inches of rain per month in the summer and 3-5 inches per
month in the winter.
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, (888)
- Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, (808)
- Hilton Waikoloa Village, (808)
- Holua Resort,
- King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
Hotel, (800) 367-6060
- Kona Seaside
Hotel, (800) 560-5558
- Kona Village Resort
Hotel, (800) 367-5290
- Manago Hotel, (808) 323-2642
- Mauna Kea Beach
Hotel, (800) 735-1111
- The Mauna Lani Bay Hotel
& Bungalows, (800) 356-6652
- The Orchid at
Mauna Lani, (800) 845-9905
- OHANA Keauhou Beach
Resort, (800) 462-6262
- Royal Kona Resort,
- Waimea Country Lodge,
East Side of the Island:
West Side of the Island:
From Hawaii Island Electronic
Village (Click Tourism)
You may also wish to view the following Web sites for
additional information about Hawaii:
Aloha and A Hui Hou! (Travel Safely)
Were looking forward to hosting you at the
IAU Symposium 211
University of Hawaii at Hilo Conference Center
For Additional Information Contact: