There are some important things to consider when planning a trip to Mauna Kea during winter months.
- Road will be closed at the Hale Pohaku level when snow or ice are present on the pavement
- Road is always closed the morning after a snowfall
- Road is always closed when snow removal equipment is in operation
- Road will frequently be closed in the morning during winter months
It is always a good idea to check on the status of the road and the current weather and forecast for the mountain before planning your travel here.
- Mauna Kea Weather Center: http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu
- Mauna Kea Road Conditions: http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/road-conditions
- OR CALL: (808) 935-6268 for a recorded message on current conditions
- There are limited parking areas on the mountain
- Please park only in areas where two lanes of traffic are still able to pass
- Stopping distances are greatly increased when snow or ice are present
- Drivers should anticipate seeing a lot of vehicles and pedestrians on the road
- Drive slowly and watch for pedestrians!
- Use very low gear when driving downhill. DON'T overuse the brakes!