There are some important things to consider when planning a trip to Maunakea during winter months.
- Road will be closed at the Hale Pohaku level when snow or ice are present on the pavement
- Road is always closed the morning after a snowfall
- Road is always closed when snow removal equipment is in operation
- Road will frequently be closed in the morning during winter months
- The road above the VIS may be closed for many days in a row due to poor conditions.
It is always a good idea to check on the status of the road and the current weather conditions (e.g. temp, wind speed, fog, etc.) as well as the weather forecast for the mountain before planning your travel here. Always check the websites below before leaving for the mountain:
- Maunakea Weather Center
- Maunakea Weather Forecast:
- Maunakea Road Conditions:
- OR CALL: (808) 935-6268 for a recorded message on current conditions
- There are limited parking areas at the VIS and in the summit areas on the mountain
- Please park only in areas where two lanes of traffic are still able to pass
- Stopping distances are greatly increased when snow or ice are present
- Drivers should anticipate seeing a lot of vehicles and pedestrians on the road
- Drive slowly and watch for pedestrians - BE CAREFUL!!!!!
- Use 4WD low gear when driving downhill. DON'T overuse the brakes or they will fail!!!!