Minutes of Working Group Meeting


Keck Base Facility, Waimea

September 19, 2003

Present:

Absent:

Minutes

  1. Current Network Status
  2. Pui Hin reported a general degradation of our connection to the Internet and Internet2 due to the widespread scanning and exploitation of the many vulnerabilities in the MS RPC Interface. To mitigate the spread of the worms, we blocked ports TCP/UDP 135, 139, 445 in and out of HP on August 14th.

    There were several outages to report on:

    Aug 8 (Friday) - Routing problems were introduced by misconfiguration of a router at UH Hilo. Many UH sites including the MKOCN experienced lost connections between 12:30pm and 2:45pm.

    From Aug 28th to September 9th, the UH networks experienced several DoS attacks with similar symptoms. An interface on a core router would stop working after a brief DoS attack and a reboot was needed to reactivate. The problems was solved on September 9th with software patches from Cisco. These outages include:

  3. Wireless Implementation Concerns
  4. Pui Hin brought up some concerns raised by the MKSS oversite committee on the installation of wireless network at HP. To quote Richard Wainscoat:

    The Working Group agrees with the oversight committee that there is a potential problem with built-in transmitters of observers' laptops. However, the problem will occur with or without wireless implementation at HP because in the very near future, every laptop will be equipped with wireless capability. In the end, the Group decided that a recommendation should be made to the Directors to instruct observers to disable their wireless equipment before going to the summit.

  5. Wireless Implementation Status
  6. Pui Hin reported that the wireless connection between HP and the VIS is established. The connection is made with a Cisco Aironet AP1200 at HP and a Aironet 350 bridge at the VIS. The bridge allows the VIS to connect multiple computers through an existing Ethernet bridge.

    For HP, there was general agreement to wait for the Cisco 802.11g product, which according to Cisco, will soon be announced. If that doesn't happen, field upgradable APs could be deployed with 802.11b radios which could be upgraded to 802.11g when the latter become available.

    For the dormitories, Pui Hin is also looking into using dual radios: 802.11a for building-to-building connections and 802.11g for users connections.

  7. Report on the meeting with Verizon on August 13th
  8. Pui Hin and Thomas Cooper met with Greg Oi and Lee Wilson of Verizon to discuss the following:

  9. Internet2 demonstration
  10. There is a request from MIT to use SMA as part of an Internet2 demonstration to be held October 14-15 in Indianapolis.

    David Lapsley said:

    There were no objections to the request and Pui Hin will work with the observatories to determine what will be the best time and maximum bandwidth usage.

  11. Other Business
  12. Kevin Cornwell of Gemini and Ryusuke Ogasawara of Subaru shared their VPN experience with the group. With dedicated VPN hardware, file transfer is faster than using scp. The disadvantage is that VPN hardware allows only "one way connection". It allows secure connection from mobile clients to office computers, but it does not allow connection to other sites through the VPN connection.

    Nick Johnson (through email) has the following suggestion for improvement to the topology of the MKOCN.

    Pui Hin explained that due to the shortage of fiber within UH-Hilo, it will not be possible to connect each Hilo site with UH-Hilo. However, once new fibers are pulled into the IfA building, it will be possible for each Hilo site to have connections to two different routers in the IfA building where dual routes to UH-Hilo already exist.

  13. Next meeting
  14. December 11th Thursday, 10:00 AM at SMA, Hilo

MKOCN Homepage Back to Minutes

Last updated December 11, 2003 by Miranda Hawarden-Ogata