Ask An Astronomer
Other Meetings & Workshops
Return to TOPS main
TOPS Teachers are engaged in a number of follow up activities. These include
star parties, classroom guest lectures from astronomers, presentation of
TOPS activities at other meetings, teacher led workshops, and TOPS gatherings
for support and follow up. This page is a collection and schedule for these
Follow up Activities / Workshops for TOPS
- October 9, 1999 - Dillingham Field - Contact M. Kadooka.
- December 4, 1999 - Dillingham Field - in conjunction with the
Hawaii Astronomical Society - contact Gerbs Bauer.
- February 5, 2000 - contact George Bendo or M. Kadooka.
Other Activities & Associated Workshops
- October 2, 1999 - Astronomy Workshop
at Mililani High School, "Kukaniloko - a Hawaiian Stonehenge". Contact:
Students S. Kawakami and B. Yasuda won 2nd place in the TechQuest 2000 competition for their work on
- November 20, 1999 - Meeting at McKinley High School for additional
hands on activities, to dicuss implementation of activities in the classroom,
and development of the teaching portfolios. Contact: M. Kadooka, T. Slater.
- July 26-29, 1999 - PREL Conference in Saipan. TOPS Teacher
Kurt Woolslayer (with help from Lucky Lucky) ran a presentation for teachers
about the TOPS activities. Contact: K. Woolslayer.
- November 3, 1999 - IfA Machine shop tour for Mililani High School
- November 20, 1999 - AAPT Meeting - 9-12 - Robotics Workshop.
- January 23, 2000 - Honokaa Family Fun Night - This workshop
will include a portable planetarium. Contact Alison Simmerman.
- February 12, 2000 - Sacred Hearts Student Program - from
8:30-11:30. Karen Meech will be conducting hands on activities for middle
school girls (drawn from schools statewide). Several TOPS teachers will be
present to help run the activities. Contact: K. Meech, M. Kadooka.
- March 2-4, 2000 - Mililani High School - Reach for
the Stars Camp - Mauna Kea for students, organized by E. Mahoney and
sponsored by the Mililani High School Science and Technology Learning Center.
- Rota High School - After school astronomy program using a new
Nexstar 5-inch telescope. Contact:
- April 12, 2000 - IfA/Mililani HS - Site visit to Kukaniloko with
archaeoastronomer Clive Ruggles.
Prelude to proposal writing to develop a collaboration involving
Hawaiian students and teachers.