Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous
The Near Earth Asteroid
Rendezvous (NEAR) is the first launch of the Discovery program. The goal
is to answer fundamental questions about the nature and orign of near-Earth
objects through a close investigation of the asteroid 433 Eros.
- Feb. 17, 1996 - Launch with a Delta II rocket
- Jun. 27, 1997 - Mathilde Encounter
- Jan. 22, 1998 - Earth swingby
- Jan. 10, 1999 - Eros arrival
IRTF Mission Support
- Thermal observations versus wavelength to model the thermal
inertia nad temperature for interpreting the 0.9-2.5 micron
- 10 micron spectra for minerology
Click here to return to the NASA / IRTF
Mission support homepage.
Last modified: Mar 29, 1998